Whether you're wanting to start a blog yourself or maybe take the leap to creating an online business; one of the very first things you'll need to do is purchase a domain name. This post is going to cover all of the basics and what exactly you need to know to get started the right way!

What Is A Domain And Do I Really Need One?
So, the truth is you don't technically need a custom domain name. However, the difference between having one and not is pretty much life or death when it comes to your business. A domain name is an address where your audience can easily access your website. I highly recommend spending the $10 or so a year to purchase a domain if you're considering opening an online store. Not only does it appear more professional but you're also securing your spot online for at least a year!

What To Consider When Buying
The hardest step is figuring out what you even want your domain to be! This step takes a few extra minutes of research to make sure the name you want is available. There may be a time when you are looking up a name and it's asking for a decent chunk of change. By all means, if you are dead set on having that specific name then you can totally pay the amount it's asking for; just know you're paying a premium price. Another option would be to just tweak the name a little bit by adding "shop" or something at the end of it if you're opening something along the lines of a boutique. ex-myboutiqueshop.com

You also want to consider your future audience when it comes to picking a domain name. You don't want to choose something that is ridiculously long or impossible to remember.

Registering A Domain And What You Need To Know
Depending on where you go to purchase, you're going to look at paying around $10-20 a year for your domain. It's important to keep in mind that you aren't buying your domain outright. When you do this, think of it as you're "renting" it for a minimum of a year and if you chose to part ways once the time period expires, it will simply go back up for sale for someone else.

When you're in the process of buying your domain name, you'll be given the option to purchase "privacy." This is 100% personal preference and normally doesn't cost too much so I would actually recommend getting it just to have that extra security for your information.

Where Should I Purchase My Domain Name?
If you go online and search " Domain Name registrars" you'll be shown 1000s of different options to chose from. They all offer different things so the one I use may not be the best option for you or someone else.

Here's my list of registrars I've personally used/tested or someone I trust and know well has used and had a great experience with.

Godaddy
I have been a Godaddy customer for years now and truly appreciate their simple checkout process and a large selection for domains! I personally have never had any issue while using their services and they are budget-friendly.

BlueHost
Bluehost is another popular hosting provider. They offer a bundle
deal where if you purchase both your hosting and domain name from them- they'll give you the domain name for free up to an entire year. Once that time period expires, you'll be required to pay the full amount.

NAME.com
Name offers affordable domain options with a simple navigation theme throughout their site making it easy to find what you're looking for.

Again, there are endless options out there for you to choose from, and the ones listed are sites I prefer to use myself. Find one that offers what you like and secure that domain name!

A Walk Through Using Godaddy
So as I mentioned earlier, I have been using Godaddy for a few years now so I figured why not do a walk through to show you guys how I would go about purchasing a domain myself.

Step 1: Find an available domain name. Go to Godaddy.com and search your desired user name to ensure it's available.

Step 2: Decide if you want add ons. These are optional yet encouraged options for you to add on with your domain purchase.

Step 3:Decide if you want to create a website with them and buy your domain together. Godaddy offers to host your website as well as provide your domain name with it free of cost.

Step 4: Need a new email address?
If you don't already have a professional email, they've got you covered as low as $1.99/MO.

Step 5: Finishing the process.
They will ask you to create an account with them if you haven't already. They will also give you the opportunity on this page to purchase a any domain names that are similar to yours.

After you've filled out your private information and purchased your domain, It's time to celebrate because you just purchased your own domain all by yo' self. (This is your sign to crack open that canned wine you bought earlier.)

Now, depending on whether you chose to use Godaddy itself to host your website or another host, there are step by step instructions that will guide along the way. You can check that out here.

If you have ANY questions about the process or get stuck somewhere, leave a comment below and I'll get back with you asap!
how to, buy, custom domain, domain, godaddy, business, entreprenuer, business owner, social media business, female entreprenuer, diy domain, bloggers, freelance, online business owners,

Get Your FREE Target Audience Worksheet To Learn How To Attract Your Tribe Straight To Your Website!